Washington D.C. (July 2, 2013) – D.C. United today announced that its U-18 and U-16 Academy teams will hold tryout sessions on Thursday, July 11 and Monday, July 15 for U.S. Soccer Development Academy (USSDA) league competition beginning Fall 2013. The tryouts will be held at the RFK Training Complex (Turf Field) adjacent to ‘Lot 7’ of RFK Stadium.
Below is all the information needed to participate in the U-18 and U16 Academy tryouts:
- Interested players should only register for ONE tryout date.
- 60 players per tryout – Once capacity is reached, registration will be closed.
- Check-in will begin 30 minutes prior to each session; please arrive early.
- Players who arrive late will not be permitted to participate or receive a refund.
- Each player must complete the form, waiver and pay a $25 registration fee to secure a spot (no exceptions).
- If selected, players will be notified via email for a ‘Final Call-Back’ session to be held Wednesday, July 17.
D.C. United’s Youth Academy is a cornerstone of the D.C. United organization. In late 2009, goalkeeper Bill Hamid became the first Academy player sign directly to United’s senior roster. In 2010, Andy Najar and Conor Shanosky were signed to the club’s First Team, with Najar winning MLS Rookie of the Year for the 2010 season. The club then inked a deal with Ethan White ahead of the 2011 MLS campaign. In January of this year, United signed forward Michael Seaton, then age 16, to the First Team. Seaton made history as the first player born after the League’s inception to be signed to an MLS side. Additionally, United’s Academy leads the nation in NCAA Division I college placement for its players.