United are hosting open tryouts for the 2017 D.C. United Special Olympics DC (SODC) Unified Soccer Team on Thursday, June 22, at the RFK Auxiliary Fields, beginning at 4:30 PM.
The D.C. United SODC Unified Soccer Team Exchange program is a partnership between Major League Soccer, D.C. United and Special Olympics DC that brings together individuals with and without intellectual disabilities, ages 16-20, together as teammates to participate in unique training, competition and social experiences.
The D.C. United SODC team will play two matches against other Special Olympics Unified Soccer teams. This year, matchups will take place on July 22 at RFK stadium (opponent TBD) and on August 19 at Dick’s Sporting Good Park in Denver, CO, against Special Olympics Colorado.
After team selection, players will be required to officially register as a Special Olympics athlete or unified partner with all players required to attend and participate in all team activities, practices, games and social events on match weekends. In addition, players will also need to provide their own transportation to all team activities as well as soccer equipment (soccer cleats and shin guards). Players must also be able to travel by plane outside the D.C. metropolitan area.
The goal of Unified Sports is to bring people with and without disabilities together to compete, learn and grow on the same team – as equals. Dedicated to promoting social inclusion through shared sports training and competition experiences, Unified Sports breaks down stereotypes about people with intellectual disabilities through the power of sport.
- Boys & girls between the ages of 16-20 are eligible
- Athletes with and without disabilities are encouraged to tryout.
- Must have an understanding of the game and rules of soccer.
- All participants must be able to travel by plane outside of D.C. metro area.
- All participants must be able to attend ALL trainings, events and matches on their own.
- Thursday, June 22, 2017
- 4:30 – 5:00 PM Player check-in
- 5:00 – 7:00 PM Tryouts
- RFK Stadium Auxiliary Field - 279 Oklahoma Ave NE, Washington, D.C. 20002
Please direct all questions to email@example.com.