RECAP: D.C. United 0 - FC Dallas 0

WASHINGTON – FC Dallas and D.C. United battled to a physical scoreless draw on Saturday night in the nation’s capital.

Seeking their third win in a row, FC Dallas couldn’t break down a D.C. United team playing their second game in four days. Dangerous scoring chances were few and far between as the two sides went scoreless over 90 minutes.

Perhaps the best scoring chance of the night, however, came in the waning seconds. DC's Josh Wolff got on the end of a Santino Quaranta long ball, and his low cross found Fred dangerously open in front of the net. But his header couldn't get the best of lunging FCD goalkeeper Kevin Hartman, who steered the shot side to help preserve the shutout.

D.C. United came close to taking the lead in the seventh minute, when left back Brek Shea’s attempted clearance went straight to MLS leading-scorer Charlie Davies. His touch betrayed him, however, and Hartman was quick off the line to make a save. The rebound fell straight to Andy Najar, who fired in a shot that was cleared by FC Dallas defender Ugo Ihemelu.

Still trying to cope with the loss of reigning league MVP David Ferreira, FC Dallas’ attack sputtered in the first half, as neither outside midfielders Fabian Castillo nor Marvin Chavez could unlock the D.C. defense.


Najar was once again the focal point of United’s attack, looking lively on the right flank, getting into dangerous positions. He teed up Dax McCarty for a shot from distance at the end of the first half that the FC Dallas defense blocked.

After the break, Najar continued to drive forward the D.C. offense. Another run down the right wing set up a shot for United midfielder Stephen King, but his effort was easily snared by Dallas goalie Kevin Hartman.

The second half was similar to the first, with United dominating possession but unable to challenge Hartman. Davies won a free kick in a dangerous spot after being hauled down by George John at the top of the Dallas box in the 60th minute, but Chris Pontius’s attempt couldn’t beat the wall.

Consistent scoring opportunities continued to be elusive for both sides. D.C.’s Stephen King had a chance in the 78th minute. A Charlie Davies cross was controlled by Josh Wolff at the top of the box, whose layoff for King was blasted wide of the frame.

Chances for Dallas were limited to long attempts on Bill Hamid’s goal by Andrew Jacobson and Brek Shea.


D.C. UNITED: Hamid; Kitchen, White, Jakovic, Woolard; Najar (Quaranta 72'), King, McCarty (c), Pontius (Fred 81'); Ngwenya (Wolff 54'), Davies

Unused substitutes: Burch, Simms, Korb, Cronin

FC Dallas: Hartman, Shea, Ihemelu, John, Loyd, Hernandez, Castillo (Warshaw 90'), Jacobson, Avila (Luna 76'), Chavez, Rodriguez (Alexander 46')

Unused substitutes: Seitz, M. Hernandez, Villar, Wiedeman



D.C. United - 9
FC Dallas - 8

D.C. United - 4
FC Dallas - 2

D.C. United - 2
FC Dallas - 3

George John - caution 59'
Fred - caution 82'

D.C. United - 11
FC Dallas - 11

Referee: Baldomero Toledo
Assistants: Kevin Duliba, Rob Fereday
4th official: Alejandro Mariscal

Time of Game: 1:49
Weather: Partly Cloudy-and-67-degrees
Attendance: 11,504