RECAP | D.C. United score twice late to win 2-1 over the Union

D.C. United defeated the Philadelphia Union, 2-1 at Audi Field in extra time to continue their campaign for a fourth Open Cup title. The Union took a late-game lead in the 113th minute of the match but United came charging back with two goals in the final two minutes of extra time.

Both clubs had substantial scoring chances, including a few chances by Lucas Rodríguez and Wayne Rooney early on that ended up blocked by the Union defenders.

Chris Seitz made a few timely saves for United in the first half to keep the game knotted at 0-0. Aurélian Colin fired a shot on frame in the 14th minute but Seitz collected the ball with ease. In the 20th minute, Fafa Picault fired a long distance shot on target but it was a poorly placed shot and Seitz secured the ball. Both teams went into halftime tied at 0-0.

In the second half, D.C. United ricocheted the ball off the post in the 60th minute. D.C. United was awarded a free kick and Rooney stepped up and curled a ball into the box and defender, Frédéric Brillant rose up and made good contact with his head but crushed the ball off the bar to keep the game scoreless.



D.C. United nearly took the lead in the 79th minute when Rooney made a quick turn to open up space for his shot. He drove one low but the shot was saved by Matt Freese. Head Coach Ben Olsen called upon Griffin Yow and Quincy Amarikwa to provide fresh legs for United. After 90 minutes of action, the game went to extra time.

In the 113th minute, the Union broke the deadlock after Jamiro Monteiro squeezed the ball into the path of Anthony Fontana who slid the ball past Seitz for the 0-1 lead. Just five minutes later United was awarded a corner kick and Chris McCann powered a header into the back of the net to tie the contest at 1-1.

Luciano Acosta was brought down in the box in the 120th minute of extra time and United was awarded a penalty kick. D.C. United Captain Rooney stepped up and smashed the ball into the back of the net to secure the 2-1 win for United. The draw for the next round of the U.S. Open Cup will be announced tomorrow at 11 AM ET.