D.C. United trio Wayne Rooney, Luciano Acosta and Paul Arriola were in the top 25 for individual jersey sales in 2018.
Rooney was acquired on July 10 and has been an integral part of United's revamped form in the second half of the season. The forward has scored 12 goals and recorded seven assists in 19 appearances and leads the league with four braces in 2018.
Acosta has been another critical player in the Black-and-Red's uphill battle to the Audi 2018 MLS Cup Playoffs. The Argentine midfielder scored his 10th goal of the season in the 3-1 win against New York City to clinch playoff berth over the weekend, making him the first United player with 10 goals and at least 10 assists since Jamie Moreno achieved the milestone in 2008. In 2018, Acosta has scored 10 goals and recorded 17 assists.
Arriola has provided the Black-and-Red with a spark in either the midfield or defense since he was acquired in the 2017 summer transfer window. The USMNT player has scored seven goals and recorded eight assists in 2018 and his energy on either side of the ball continues to endear him to Black-and-Red fans.
During his first season in Major League Soccer, LA Galaxy striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored his 500th career goal and his jersey finds itself atop the list of MLS player jerseys sold on MLSstore.com for 2018.
LAFC Designated Player and Mexican international star Carlos Vela holds the No. 2 spot and is one of 18 MLS designated players featured on the list (others include – Josef Martinez, Wayne Rooney, Miguel Almirón, Bastian Schweinsteiger, David Villa, Sebastian Giovinco, Clint Dempsey, Ezequiel Barco (YDP), Diego Valeri, Diego Rossi (YDP), Bradley Wright-Phillips, Giovani dos Santos, Jozy Altidore, Dom Dwyer, Graham Zusi, Darwin Quintero Jr., Paul Arriola).
- Fourteen different countries represented (determined by birthplace) – Sweden (Zlatan Ibrahimovic), Mexico (Carlos Vela, Giovani dos Santos), Venezuela (Josef Martinez), England (Wayne Rooney, Bradley Wright-Phillips, Dom Dwyer), Paraguay (Miguel Almirón), Germany (Bastian Schweinsteiger), Spain (David Villa), Italy (Sebastian Giovinco), United States (Clint Dempsey, Jozy Altidore, Graham Zusi, Cristian Roldan, Paul Arriola), Argentina (Ezequiel Barco, Diego Valeri, Hector Villalba, Luciano Acosta), Uruguay (Diego Rossi), Liberia (Darlington Nagbe), Ghana (Alphonso Davies), Colombia (Darwin Quintero Jr., Diego Chara).
- Eight players are 24 or under (Miguel Almirón, Ezequiel Barco, Diego Rossi, Alphonso Davies, Hector Villalba, Luciano Acosta, Cristian Roldan, Paul Arriola) including three on this year’s 22 Under 22 List (Ezequiel Barco (19), Diego Rossi (20), Alphonso Davies (17)).
The rankings are based on overall retail sales of adidas MLS jerseys on MLSstore.com since the beginning of 2018.
The Top-selling player jerseys for 2018:
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic (LAG)
- Carlos Vela (LAFC)
- Josef Martinez (ATL)
- Wayne Rooney (D.C.)
- Miguel Almiron (ATL)
- Bastian Schweinsteiger (CHI)
- David Villa (NYCFC)
- Sebastian Giovinco (TFC)
- Clint Dempsey (SEA)
- Ezequiel Barco (ATL)
- Diego Valeri (POR)
- Diego Rossi (LAFC)
- Bradley Wright-Phillips (RBNY)
- Giovani dos Santos (LAG)
- Darlington Nagbe (ATL)
- Jozy Altidore (TOR)
- Alphonso Davies (VAN)
- Hector Villalba (ATL)
- Dom Dwyer (ORL)
- Luciano Acosta (D.C.)
- Graham Zusi (Sporting KC)
- Cristian Roldan (SEA)
- Darwin Quintero Jr. (MIN)
- Paul Arriola (D.C.)
- Diego Chara (POR)
For more information on the top-selling MLS jerseys, visit MLSstore.com.