D.C. United 4 (9-17-4, 31 points) v. San Jose Earthquakes 0 (11-13-6, 39 points)
Sept. 23, 2017 – RFK Stadium, Washington, D.C.
- Patrick Mullins scored his first, second, third and fourth goals of the season.
- Mullins recorded three goals for the second time in his career, both as a D.C. United player (Aug. 27, 2016).
- Mullins scored four goals in a game for the first time in his career. He is the first United player to score four goals in a match since Abdul Thompson Conteh in 2001 and the 11th player in MLS history to do so. His four goals over 31 minutes is the fastest in league history.
- Mullins is the first player in MLS history to score four goals in a half.
- Mullins' first three goals were the second-fastest in United history (10 minutes and 40 seconds, behind Dwayne De Rosario's hat trick (Sept. 24, 2011, 9 minutes).
- Paul Arriola recorded his first and second career MLS assists.
- Luciano Acosta started his 26th match of the season, eclipsing last year's total (25).
- Steve Clark made his first start and earned his first shutout as a D.C. United player (23rd in MLS).
- Sean Franklin made his 100th appearance as a D.C. United player.
- The Black-and-Red are 14-17-7 against the Earthquakes all-time.
- United are 10-9-0 against San Jose at RFK Stadium.
- United beat San Jose in D.C. for the first time since 2013.
- The Black-and-Red shutout the Earthquakes for the first time since 2013.
- United scored four goals in a match for the first time this season.
- The Black-and-Red earned their seventh shutout of the season.
- The Black-and-Red are undefeated when scoring first at home this season (5-0-1).
- When tied at half, United are now 6-5-2 in 2017 (5-2-2 at RFK).
- United won only their second match this season when outshooting their opponent (2-9-1, 2-51 at home).
Goals by Half
|1st Half||2nd Half||Total|
|San Jose Earthquakes||0||0||0|
|50'||SJ||Florian Jungwirth||Unsporting Behavior|
|67'||SJ||Andrés Imperiale||Unsporting Behavior|
|57'||D.C.||Patrick Mullins||Paul Arriola, Luciano Acosta|
|60'||D.C.||Patrick Mullins||Paul Arriola|
|Team||Shots||Shots on Goal||Corners||Offsides||Possession (%)||Saves|
|San Jose Earthquakes||10||1||2||2||51||4|
D.C. United lineup:
Steve Clark; Chris Korb, Kofi Opare, Steve Birnbaum, Nick DeLeon (Sean Franklin 81'); Russell Canouse, Marcelo Sarvas; Zoltán Stieber (Ian Harkes 85'), Luciano Acosta (Lloyd Sam 74'), Paul Arriola; Patrick Mullins
Unused Substitutes: Bill Hamid, Bruno Miranda, Jalen Robinson, Deshorn Brown
San Jose Earthquakes lineup:
Andrew Tarbell; Shea Salinas, Andrés Imperiale, Francois Affolter, Kofi Sarkodie; Valeri Qazaishvili (Jahmir Hyka 81'), Florian Jungwirth (Aníbal Godoy 61'), Jackson Yueill, Danny Hoesen; Marco Ureña (Tommy Thompson 61'), Chris Wondolowski
Unused Substitutes: Matt Bersano, Victor Bernárdez, Nick Lima, Quincy Amarikwa