United at a Glance – December 2023
D.C. United close out 2023 and turn the page to the new year. With the latest addition of our new General Manager and Chief Soccer Officer, Ally Mackay, the club will shift their focus to acquiring a head coach to lead the Black-and-Red in the upcoming season.
The 2023 calendar year will conclude with the club’s annual season of giving in which the D.C. United Foundation, players, and front office will participate in a series of community events to spread the holiday spirit across the DMV. Here is a look ahead at the exciting news and events surrounding the club and Audi Field this month.
D.C. UNITED HIRE ALLY MACKAY AS GENERAL MANAGER & CHIEF SOCCER OFFICER
- D.C. United have announced the hiring of Ally Mackay as the club’s new General Manager and Chief Soccer Officer. Mackay joins the Black-and-Red after spending the previous five seasons as Nashville SC’s Assistant General Manager. At 37 years old, Mackay becomes the youngest active General Manager and Chief Soccer Officer in Major League Soccer. For more information, click here.
- To watch Mackay’s first interview with club reporter Claudia Pagán, click here.
D.C. UNITED 2024 SCHEDULE RELEASE
- Per Major League Soccer, D.C. United will release their 2024 season schedule at the end of the month. Be on the lookout for more information on the club's website and social media platforms. For season ticket information, click here.
FRIDAY, DEC. 1 – MLS ROSTER DECISION DEADLINE
- Ahead of the MLS deadline, D.C. United announced the club’s decisions on the contract options of several players, putting the current roster for next season at 19 contracted players. To view all roster moves and for more information, click here.
TUESDAY, DEC. 5 – D.C. UNITED TICKET SALES OPEN HOUSE (6:00 PM)
- D.C. United are seeing significant momentum off the field regarding Season Memberships and Group Outings for the 2024 season and will host a Holiday Open House for individuals looking to learn more about how to get involved for next season. The event will feature an exclusive meet-and-greet with D.C. United legend Luciano Emilio, behind-the-scenes tours of Audi Field, and opportunities to reserve your seats for next season! To RSVP to attend the event, click here.
WEDNESDAY, DEC. 6 – D.C. UNITED SEASON TICKET MEMBER HOLIDAY PARTY
- As a member of our Black-and-Red family, you receive access to exclusive benefits, events, and experiences throughout the year. D.C. United will celebrate the holiday season with D.C. United Season Ticket Members at The Wharf with ice skating, player appearances, and more! You can join the Black-and-Red family for access to this event, click here to learn more about D.C. United Season Ticket Memberships.
TUESDAY, DEC. 19 - 2024 MLS SUPERDRAFT (3:00 PM)
- D.C. United will look to expand their roster through the 2024 MLS SuperDraft that will be live on MLS Season Pass. The MLS SuperDraft order is set by taking the reverse order of the club standings at the end of each MLS season, taking postseason performance into account. MLS clubs are eligible to select players who are currently collegiate sophomores, juniors, and above. For more information, click here.
DEC. 7- 8 – TECHSGIVING SUMMIT 2023 supported by MindPoint Group
- The 2023 Techsgiving Summit is a gathering focused on creating a lasting impact for diverse tech professionals and tech enabled entrepreneurs. It’s a one-stop-shop for everything professional growth and development! This conference is centered around all attendees and hosts lifting as they climb through their tech journey. Our audience, sponsors, and speakers are here to meet you where you are, to take you to the next level, whether early in your career, mid-, or senior level, aspiring, or an entrepreneur. For more information, click here.
D.C. UNITED IN THE COMMUNITY
SEASON OF GIVING
MEAL & HOPE TOTE DISTRIBUTION WITH HOPE MULTIPLIED
- D.C. United’s Pedro Santos and the D.C. United Foundation teamed up with Hope Multiplied to provide Thanksgiving meals for families at Brightwood Elementary School. Together they will also join Hope Multiplied on Tuesday, Dec. 5 at Saltbox in Alexandria, Va. from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. to join their fight against hunger and food insecurity. They will pack bags with shelf-stable foods, known as Hope Totes, which will be distributed to local children and families in need. To sign-up for future volunteer opportunities, click here.
SECRET SHOPPER FOR HOMELESS CHILDREN PLAYTIME PROJECT
- The D.C. United front office is serving as secret shoppers by purchasing gifts off children's wish lists from Homeless Children’s Playtime Project. The D.C. United Foundation team will drop off the wrapped gifts to be distributed to families by Homeless Children’s Playtime Project.
CHRISTMAS ON THE INSIDE
TOYS FOR TODDIES WITH SCREAMING EAGLES
- D.C. United and the Screaming Eagles supporter group will team up for the annual Toys for Toddies event this year at Duke’s Grocery on Saturday, Dec. 9 at 4 p.m. Participants can donate money or bring a new, unwrapped toy as an entrance fee into the event. Money will also be raised through an auction/raffle of donated items to purchase more toys that will be delivered to DC SCORES.
BLUE STAR FAMILIES: STARS, STRIPES, AND HOLIDAY WISHES HOLIDAY PARTY
- Blue Star Families will host its annual holiday party for junior enlisted and wounded warrior service members and their families. D.C. United players and staff will hand out donated gifts to families at the Holiday Party and participate in festive activities and celebrations. To learn more about Blue Star Families, click here.
D.C. UNITED FOUNDATION TOY DRIVE – NOV. 1 – DEC.15
- Now through the holiday season, the D.C. United Foundation will be shopping and collecting toys for children in the DMV. Fans can drop off gifts at any Aslin Brewery location (Alexandria, Herndon, and Washington DC) until Dec. 15 to benefit those in need during the holiday season.
WOMEN’S EMPOWERMENT WORKSHOPS – HOUSE OF RUTH
- Every month, D.C. United female identifying staff and community partners lead workshops focused on career readiness topics that educate and prepare the women at House of Ruth to enter and develop within the workforce. House of Ruth, empowers women, children, and families to rebuild their lives and heal from trauma, abuse, and homelessness.
- This holiday season, the D.C. United Foundation will be teaming up with Sherwin-Williams and Pepco to refurbish the multi-purpose room at House of Ruth, which serves as the main communal space for the women who live at the transitional housing location, by purchasing and building new furniture, painting and decorating the space so that all residents feel welcomed.
D.C. UNITED FOUNDATION
- The D.C. United Foundation aims to provide youth in the DMV with the tools necessary to soar on and off the pitch, while also seeking to level the playing field for communities by harnessing the power of sport. We prioritize serving populations that lack equitable access to important resources, educating and empowering the next generation and using our platform to lift people up and support their visions. To support the foundation and the community, click here to donate.
- At Audi Field’s FanDuel Sportsbook, you can place bets on your favorite teams and have a winning experience with a full-service sportsbook. Located just inside Gate A on the north side of the stadium, FanDuel Sportsbook is open Monday – Sunday (10 AM – Midnight). To learn more, click here.
D.C. UNITED CLUB SHOP
- The Club Shop is your destination for D.C. United merchandise at Audi Field. Located near Gate A, fans can access the Club Shop from inside the stadium behind the Heineken Rooftop bar on matchdays. The D.C. United Club Shop will be closed for the remainder of 2023; however, you can shop online here.
ABOUT D.C. UNITED
One of the founding clubs of Major League Soccer in 1996, D.C. United are among the most decorated teams in the United States with 13 domestic and international trophies.
D.C. United have called the District home for the past 27 seasons and play their home games at Audi Field in the Buzzard Point neighborhood of Southwest, Washington, D.C, which opened in 2018. In addition to D.C. United games, the 20,000-seat soccer-specific stadium hosts over 100 events year-round, including the District’s premier arts, culinary, and music festival, Unite the District Fest. Audi Field is also home to America’s number one sportsbook through a partnership with FanDuel Group.
The Black-and-Red have won the MLS Cup four times (1996, 1997, 1999 and 2004), the Supporters’ Shield four times (1997, 1999, 2006 and 2007) and the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup three times (1996, 2008 and 2013). For more information and club updates, please sign up for our newsletter and find us on social media @dcunited.