United at a Glance – August 2023
After hosting the 2023 MLS All-Star Game vs. Arsenal FC in July, D.C. United turn the page to August, highlighted by United Night Out when the club welcomes the Philadelphia Union for their only home MLS match of the month on Aug. 26.
Here is a look ahead at the exciting news and events surrounding the club and Audi Field this month.
THURSDAY, AUG. 3 – D.C. UNITED at PHILADELPHIA UNION (8:00 PM)
2023 Leagues Cup – Round of 32
- D.C. United’s Leagues Cup run ends in the Round of 32 in penalties. The Black-and-Red advanced to the knockout stage of the inaugural Leagues Cup after finishing second in East Group 2 with three points. For more information, click here.
SUNDAY, AUG. 20 – D.C. UNITED WATCH PARTY ON THE WHARF PRESENTED BY HEINEKEN
- Come out to Pearl Street at the Wharf and watch D.C. United take on club rivals New York Red Bulls on an outdoor big screen!
SATURDAY, AUG. 26 – D.C. UNITED vs. PHILADELPHIA UNION (7:30 PM)
- Pride Night - United Night Out
- Join us as we celebrate our LGBTQ+ community at United Night Out on Saturday, Aug. 26 as D.C. United take on the Philadelphia Union. For more information and tickets, click here.
- Pepsi Promotion
- As the official soft drink of D.C. United, Pepsi will be offering 50 percent off on its beverage products at concession stands, including 20oz. bottled products and 32oz. fountain drinks, for the club’s home game against the Philadelphia Union.
- Supporting Partner of the Match: Grant Thornton
INTERNATIONAL FRIENDLY ANNOUNCEMENT – D.C. UNITED vs. MEDEAMA SC – OCT. 14
- The Black-and-Red will face Ghanaian Premier League champions, Medeama SC in a club friendly match at Audi Field on Saturday, Oct. 14. This unique matchup between two historic teams will magnify the celebration of African culture in Washington, D.C. Tickets are on-sale now to the general public and can be purchased HERE.
NEW FIRST TEAM SIGNINGS
- D.C. United have signed Panamanian National Team forward José Fajardo from Club Atlético Independiente in the Panama first division pending receipt of his P-1 Visa and International Transfer Certificate (ITC). The Black-and-Red have signed the forward through 2023 with options in 2024 and 2025. For more information, click here.
- D.C. United have signed Panamanian National Team defender Éric Davis using General Allocation Money (GAM) pending receipt of his P-1 Visa and International Transfer Certificate (ITC). The Black-and-Red have signed the defender through 2023 with options in 2024 and 2025. For more information, click here.
- D.C. United have signed Brazilian midfielder Gabriel Pirani on loan from Santos FC of the Brazilian Série A pending receipt of P-1 Visa and International Transfer Certificate (ITC). The Black-and-Red have signed Pirani on loan through Dec. 31, 2023 with an option to buy. For more information, click here.
Members of the D.C. United front office were recognized this summer for their excellence and dedication in the sports industry:
Danita Johnson, President of Business Operations – Sports Business Journal 40 Under 40
- Danita Johnson was selected to Sports Business Journal’s 40 Under 40 Class of 2023. The President of Business Operations for D.C. United spearheaded the 2023 MLS campaign for Audi Field and Washington, D.C. and played a vital role in bringing the 2023 MLS All-Star Game vs. Arsenal FC to the District. For more information, click here.
Janine Brunson-Johnson, Senior Director, Events and Entertainment - Washington Business Journal 40 Under 40
- Janine Brunson-Johnson was selected to Washington Business Journal’s 40 Under 40 Class of 2023. The Senior Director of Events and Entertainment for D.C. United led the 2023 MLS All-Star host committee and played a big role in bringing the MLS All-Star Game to the District for the first time since 2004. For more information, click here.
THURSDAY, AUG. 24 - MOVIES ON THE PITCH
- Minions – The Rise of Gru
- Enjoy a movie with friends and family at Audi Field! For more information, click here.
SUNDAY, AUG. 27 – WASHINGTON SPIRIT vs. PORTLAND THORNS (5:00 PM)
- While the United States Women’s National team competes at the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup, the Washington Spirit continue their impressive NWSL campaign against the Portland Thorns. Come and support the Spirit at Audi Field! For information and tickets, click here.
D.C. UNITED DEBUT ENHANCED FAN APP POWERED BY TICKETMASTER IGNITE
- The enhanced app allows fans to search for, and purchase, D.C. United tickets directly within the app – a service unmatched by other ticketing partners. When D.C. United fans are looking to attend an upcoming game, they can log into the app, search for D.C. United games or other special events at their home stadium Audi Field, view interactive seat maps, and purchase tickets with secure checkout. After purchasing, tickets are automatically saved to their phones, so fans do not have to worry about cell service or Wi-Fi as they scan into their events. For more information, click here.
SCAN & PAY
- Introducing the newest method of paying for concessions at D.C. United home games. After placing your order with a concession stand employee, let them know that you are going to pay with the D.C. United mobile app. The point-of-sale system will present a QR code for you to scan. App users will have access to discounts and promotions throughout the year. To learn more about amplifying your gameday experience, click here.
- D.C. United and Audi Field are always striving to provide fans with an optimal gameday experience and appreciate fan feedback to accomplish this goal. All D.C. United match attendees will receive a short post-match survey via email following each match. These post-match surveys are available in both English and Spanish and should only take 2-3 minutes to complete.
MLS ALL-STAR WEEK RECAP
July was a monumental month for D.C. United, as the club was the center of the soccer world when it hosted the 2023 MLS All-Star game vs. Arsenal FC. Head Coach Wayne Rooney, goalkeeper Tyler Miller, and forward Christian Benteke represented the club as part of the MLS All-Star side. In the buildup to the match, D.C. United and Major League Soccer took over the District and provided the community with a week full of activations and events:
- MLS Welcome Press Conference: The club kicked off MLS All-Star Week with a Welcome Press Conference at Audi Field featuring Mayor Muriel Bowser and other local dignitaries.
- MLS WORKS All-Star Day of Service: D.C. United and MLS fans helped pack 100,000 meals for U.S. Hunger which were distributed locally to families in need by local nonprofit Bread for the City. After volunteering, participants enjoyed a family-friendly celebration with food, music, entertainment, games and more.
- Soccer Celebration on the Wharf: Major League Soccer and D.C. United took over the Wharf to bring soccer to the people. The event featured special guest appearances by MLS players, musical activations and performances, culinary offerings, a watch party experience for MLS matches and the opportunity to sample Coca-Cola refreshments.
- Icon Talks: D.C. United teamed up with Icon Talks and HQ DC House for an important discussion about the intersection of politics and sports.
- MLS WORKS All-Star Community Day: D.C. United and the D.C. United Foundation unveiled a new mini-pitch at Seaton Elementary School in Washington, D.C. as a way of empowering our community’s youth to achieve their dreams through sport. The D.C. United Foundation also announced that it will build 10 more mini pitches between now and end of 2024 with U.S. Soccer Foundation and Clark Foundation.
- White House Soccer Clinic: Students from DC Department of Parks and Recreation took part in a youth soccer clinic on the White House Lawn to celebrate the kickoff of MLS All-Star Week. Hosted by First Lady Jill Biden, students and their families were welcomed to participate in drills and scrimmages led by D.C. United Academy coaches. President Biden and MLS All-Stars, including D.C. United’s Christian Benteke, made a special appearance, greeting participants and sharing well wishes.
- MLS All-Star Concert: Two-time GRAMMY nominated R&B star Kehlani headlined the MLS All-Star Concert at The Anthem in Washington, D.C. Ticket proceeds benefited neighbor DC Central Kitchen, whose mission is to use food as a tool to strengthen bodies, empower minds, and build communities.
- Welcome to D.C./Kicks and Kits Party: D.C. United held a welcome party for season ticket holders and partners at Hell’s Kitchen on the Wharf. Attendees wore their favorite soccer kits and kicks in celebration of MLS All-Star Week in the District.
- MLS All-Star Hometown Heroes Showcase: D.C. United teamed up with Black Players for Change and Major League Soccer to honor four DC Hometown Heroes. These leaders, representing Latin American Youth Center, Rainbow Families, So Kids Soar, and WETATi, embody D.C. United’s community values of Empowerment, Opportunity, and Service. The Hometown Heroes will each receive a $15,000 grant to elevate their impact. The Howard University Men’s Soccer Program was also recognized as Honorary Heroes.
- MLS All-Star Training on the National Mall: Ahead of the MLS All-Star Skills Challenge, the MLS All-Stars practiced on the National Mall overlooking the Washington Monument.
- MLS All-Star Skills Challenge: Select players from MLS All-Stars and Arsenal competed in six skill competitions, with Arsenal and MLS All-Stars competing on behalf of DC SCORES and Special Olympics DC, resulting in $25,000 donations to both organizations. An additional $25,000 donation was made to Serve Your City, as part of AT&T’s commitment to help bridge the digital divide.
- MLS All-Star Special Olympics Unified Game: Major League Soccer and Special Olympics hosted the 8th annual Special Olympics Unified Sports All-Star Game at the Naval Academy’s Glenn Warner Soccer Facility. The Unified All-Stars played in a match coached by MLS Greats and were outfitted by custom kits designed by adidas. Special Olympics pair, Teon Logan and Edgar Gonzalez, represented D.C. United in the match.
- MLS All-Star Game vs. Arsenal: MLS All-Star Week culminated with an iconic matchup between the MLS All-Stars and European powerhouse Arsenal. Arsenal emerged victorious, 5-0, in front of 20,621 fans, a new Audi Field attendance record.
- Behind the Scenes: Go behind the scenes with our team reporter, Claudia Pagan, to relive all the moments of the 2023 MLS All-Star Week.
- MLS All-Star Small Business Pass: The D.C. United Foundation, MLS, and Black Players for Change partnered with The Intentionalist, to create the MLS All-Star Small Business Pass, incentivizing support for diverse local businesses. The partnership encourages fans to power the local DC community and economy, which allowed them to access promotional discounts at dozens of local businesses.
D.C. UNITED IN THE COMMUNITY
SATURDAY, AUG. 26 – BACK TO SCHOOL BASH WITH D.C. UNITED FOUNDATION AND SERVE YOUR CITY (10AM-2PM)
- The Back to School Bash and Youth Festival is a day where community members and partners come together to celebrate the start of the new school year! At this event at Eastern Market Metro Station, registered students and their families can pick up brand-new backpacks filled with comprehensive school supplies and a digital device, while learning about free resources, programming and get assistance in filling out required school paperwork. For more information, click here.
D.C. UNITED FOUNDATION
- The D.C. United Foundation aims to provide youth in the DMV the tools necessary to soar on and off the pitch, while also seeking to level the playing field for communities by harnessing the power of sport. We prioritize serving populations that lack equitable access to important resources, educating and empowering the next generation and using our platform to lift people up and support their visions. To support the foundation and the community, click here to donate.
D.C. UNITED 50/50 RAFFLE FOR DC SCORES
- Available during all home D.C. United matches this season, the 50/50 Raffle offers fans the chance to win big and support DC SCORES, the official charitable partner of D.C. United! DC SCORES creates neighborhood soccer and arts teams to give kids the confidence and skills to succeed on the playing field, in the classroom and in life.
- Online ticket sales open at noon on home match days and are available for purchase until the 70th minute mark. Tickets can be purchased online at the following price points: 10 for $10, 40 for $20, 100 for $40 and 300 for $100. For more information and to purchase raffle tickets online, visit dcunited.com.
WOMEN’S EMPOWERMENT WORKSHOPS – HOUSE OF RUTH
- Every month, D.C. United female identifying staff and community partners lead workshops focused on career readiness topics that educate and prepare the women at House of Ruth to enter and develop within the workforce. House of Ruth, empowers women, children, and families to rebuild their lives and heal from trauma, abuse, and homelessness.
- At Audi Field’s FanDuel Sportsbook, you can place bets on your favorite teams and have a winning experience with a full-service sportsbook. Located just inside Gate A on the north side of the stadium, FanDuel Sportsbook is open Sunday – Thursday (11 AM – 10 PM) and Friday – Saturday (11 AM – 11 PM). To learn more, click here.
D.C. UNITED CLUB SHOP
- The Club Shop is your destination for D.C. United merchandise at Audi Field. Located near Gate A, fans can access the Club Shop from inside the stadium behind the Heineken Rooftop bar on matchdays.
- Club Shop Hours: Tuesday – Saturday (12 PM – 5 PM)
- On matchdays, the club shop will be open from 11 AM - 4PM and then from 6 PM until the end of the match.
- You can round up your total to the nearest dollar at the DCU Club Shop to be donated to the DCU Foundation.
- Shop online here.
ABOUT D.C. UNITED
One of the founding clubs of Major League Soccer in 1996, D.C. United are among the most decorated teams in the United States with 13 domestic and international trophies.
D.C. United have called the District home for the past 27 seasons and play their home games at Audi Field in the Buzzard Point neighborhood of Southwest, Washington, D.C, which opened in 2018. In addition to D.C. United games, the 20,000-seat soccer-specific stadium hosts over 100 events year-round, including the District’s premier arts, culinary, and music festival, Unite the District Fest. Audi Field is also home to America’s number one sportsbook through a partnership with FanDuel Group.
The Black-and-Red have won the MLS Cup four times (1996, 1997, 1999 and 2004), the Supporters’ Shield four times (1997, 1999, 2006 and 2007) and the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup three times (1996, 2008 and 2013). For more information and club updates, please sign up for our newsletter and find us on social media @dcunited.