The 2014 MLS Cup PLayoffs stage is set.
In the East, the New York Red Bulls came from behind to beat the defending champions Sporting Kansas City 2-1 last night at Red Bull Arena. In the West, FC Dallas won in dramatic fashion, beating Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2-1 on Wednesday night. So, the Semifinals in both conferences are set.
- The higher seed hosts the second leg of the series.
- Both the Conference Semifinals and Finals are played as a home and away series.
- Winners are determined based on aggregate. If the aggregate score is tied after 180 minutes of play, the away goals rule will apply. If the series remains tied, two 15-minute extra time periods will be played in their entirety, followed by penalty kicks, if necessary. The away goals tiebreaker will not apply to overtime in the 2nd leg of any two-legged playoff series. See full Playoffs Format and Rules
- The MLS Cup Final is one match: winner takes all
Eastern Conference Semifinals (Home team listed first)
November 1: Columbus Crew (3) vs. New England Revolution (2): FINAL: CLB 2 - NER 4
November 2: New York Red Bulls (4) vs. D.C. United (1): 4 p.m. ET on CSN -NY 2 - DCU 0
November 8: D.C. United (1) vs. New York Red Bulls (4): 2:30 p.m. on NBC - Buy your tickets now!
November 9: New England Revolution (2) vs. Columbus Crew (3): 5 p.m. on ESPN2
Western Conference Semifinals (Home team listed fist)
November 1: Real Salt Lake (3) vs. Los Angeles Galaxy (2): FINAL: RSL 0 - LAG 0
November 2: FC Dallas (4) vs. Seattle Sounders FC (1): FINAL: FCD 1 - SSFC 1
November 9: Los Angeles Galaxy (2) vs. Real Salt Lake (3): 7:30 p.m. ET on ESPN2
November 10: Seattle Sounders FC (1) vs. FC Dallas (4): 10:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN
What the 2-0 loss at Red Bull Arena means for D.C. United:
- If D.C. United wins by a score of at least 2-0 on Saturday, the teams will play two 15-minute overtime periods, followed by penalty kicks if necessary.
- D.C. United must keep a clean sheet, since away goals are the tie-breaker and both teams would have a home win if the above scenario happens.