It was a busy week for all of Major League Soccer, and it's not over yet.
Today, in the 2014 Expansion Draft, New York City FC and Orlando City FC each chose 10 players from other MLS side's available lists. Friday, at 2:00 p.m., is the Re-Entry Draft, a mechanism for veterans of the League whose options have been declined to move within MLS, and more players will be selected and moving to different teams. We will have all the most up-to-date information on phase one of the Re-Entry Draft right here on dcunited.com, but first, let's take a look at where we stand as of today.
Monday, December 8: Half-day Trade Window
- Traded an international roster spot for the 2015 and 2016 seasons to New York City FC in exchange for allocation money. MORE
- Traded an international roster spot for the 2015 and 2016 seasons to Orlando City FC in exchange for allocation money. MORE
- Traded goalkeeper Joe Willis and defender Samuel Inkoom to the Houston Dynamo for midfielder Andrew Driver and a Fourth Round 2016 SuperDraft pick. MORE
Monday, December 8: Roster decision
- D.C. United declined the options on five contracts: defender Nana Attakora, midfielder Alex Caskey, defender Jeff Parke, midfielder Kyle Porter and defender Conor Shanosky. MORE
- D.C. United extends bona fide offer to midfielder/forward David Estrada. MORE
Monday, December 8: Protected/Available lists announced for Expansion Draft
- Protected: Steven Birnbaum, Bobby Boswell, Nick DeLeon ,Fabian Espindola ,Sean Franklin, Bill Hamid ,Taylor Kemp, Perry Kitchen ,Chris Pontius ,Chris Rolfe, Luis Silva, Davy Arnaud
- Homegrowns Exempt: Collin Martin, Jalen Robinson, Michael Seaton, Conor Shanosky
- Available: Davy Arnaud, Nana Attakora, Alex Caskey, Conor Doyle, Andrew Driver, Jared Jeffrey, Eddie Johnson, Chris Korb, Thomas McNamara, Lewis Neal, Kofi Opare, Jeff Parke, Kyle Porter (Int'l), Andrew Dykstra, David Estrada
*Was added to the protected list after Orlando City FC selected Lewis Neal
Wednesday, December 10: Expansion Draft
“We want to thank Lewis Neal for everything he has done for D.C. United over the past three years,” said D.C. United General Manager Dave Kasper. “Lewis is a special player and a special person, and we wish nothing but the best for him and his family in his return to Orlando. We also want to wish the best of luck to Thomas McNamara at New York City FC.”
- In the fifth round of the Expansion Draft, Orlando City SC selected midfielder Lewis Neal.
- D.C. United subsequently protected midfielder Davy Arnaud.
- In the eighth round of the Expansion Draft, New York City FC selected Thomas McNamara, whom United claimed in the Chivas USA Dispersal Draft.
- D.C. United was eliminated from the Expansion Draft upon having two players selected.
- Additionally, United receives allocation money for having two players selected from its squad.