D.C. United have announced their year-end roster decisions following the conclusion of their 2021 Major League Soccer (MLS) campaign. A total of 22 players are currently under contract for 2022.
- The Black-and-Red have exercised the 2022 options for Andy Najar, Donovan Pines, Adrien Perez, Tony Alfaro, and Drew Skundrich, in addition to forward Kimarni Smith who spent 2021 on loan with Loudoun United FC.
- The Black-and-Red have declined the 2022 options for Yamil Asad, Jon Kempin, and Felipe Martins.
- The club have parted ways with Yamil Asad, Ramón Ábila, Jovanny Bolívar, Michael DeShields, Joseph Mora, Yordy Reyna, following the expiration of their contracts.
- Frédéric Brillant, Felipe Martins, and Chris Seitz become MLS Free Agents following the expiration of their contracts.
- A bona fide offer has been made to Venezuelan National Team midfielder Junior Moreno, to extend his stay with the club following the expiration of his current contract.
- Discussions with midfielder Felipe Martins and goalkeeper Jon Kempin regarding possible new contracts for 2022 are ongoing.
- D.C. United are in discussions with Belgian club KV Kortrijk on a permanent transfer for defender Brendan Hines-Ike, who was on loan with the Black-and-Red for the 2021 season.
- Jovanny Bolívar returned to his parent club, Deportivo La Guaira in Venezuela, following the conclusion of his one-year loan. D.C. United declined his option for a permanent transfer.
“Dave Kasper and I have worked closely with Hernán [Losada] to analyze our roster from 2021 to determine the initial changes needed to improve from last season with our eyes set on qualifying for playoffs in 2022,” Lucy Rushton, D.C. United General Manager, said. “We are continuing to scout and identify players that fit Hernán’s philosophy and style of play so we can reinforce and bolster our roster to compete in 2022. We would like to thank the players who have departed the club for their efforts, and we wish them the best in the next chapters of their careers.”D.C. United’s current year-end roster decisions have been characterized into six categories:
Players Under Contract (22): Tony Alfaro, Paul Arriola, Steven Birnbaum, Russell Canouse, Edison Flores, Jeremy Garay, Jacob Greene, Julian Gressel, Bill Hamid, Ola Kamara, Andy Najar, Moses Nyeman, Chris Odoi-Atsem, Kevin Paredes, Adrien Perez, Donovan Pines, Nigel Robertha, Gaoussou Samaké, Drew Skundrich, Kimarni Smith, Erik Sorga, Griffin Yow
Players Out of Contract (7): Ramón Ábila, Jovanny Bolívar, Frédéric Brillant, Michael DeShields, Joseph Mora, Yordy Reyna, Chris Seitz
Players with Option Exercised (6): Tony Alfaro, Andy Najar, Adrien Perez, Donovan Pines, Kimarni Smith, Drew Skundrich
Players Receiving Bona fide Offer (1): Júnior Moreno
Players with Option Declined (3): Yamil Asad, Jon Kempin, Felipe Martins
Players on Loan (1): Erik Sorga (VVV-Venlo)
*D.C. United are currently in discussions with a number of players about extending their futures with the Black-and-Red.
D.C. United’s current roster ahead of 2022, listed by position below:
Goalkeepers (1): Bill Hamid
Defenders (9): Tony Alfaro, Steven Birnbaum, Jacob Greene, Julian Gressel, Andy Najar, Chris Odoi-Atsem, Kevin Paredes, Donovan Pines, Gaoussou Samaké
Midfielders (4): Russell Canouse, Jeremy Garay, Moses Nyeman, Drew Skundrich
Forwards (8): Paul Arriola, Edison Flores, Ola Kamara, Adrien Perez, Nigel Robertha, Kimarni Smith, Erik Sorga (on loan to VVV-Venlo), Griffin Yow