The start of the MLS season is right around the corner, and for a handful of clubs across the country, last weekend provided a chance for MLS academies to head into action.
There were some strong performances from some academy sides as the hunt for a spot in the Development Academy playoffs later this summer heats up. The San Jose Earthquakes posted a 3-1 mark at home, as the U-16s defeated Irvine Strikers 5-1 before squeaking past Pateadores 1-0. The U-18s couldn’t quite replicate that success, defeating the Strikers 2-1 before losing 2-0 to Pateadores.
D.C. United sent their academy up north, playing a quartet of games against tough opposition. Saturday’s action brought a sweep of South Central Premier, with the U-16s winning 3-1 and U-18s picking up a 1-0 win.
Sunday wasn’t as positive, but didn’t bring defeat, with the U-18s drawing 1-1 with Oakwood Soccer Club and the U-16s match ending 2-2.
For the New York Red Bulls Academy, a matchup against Baltimore Bays Chelsea caused trouble, as the Red Bulls left Baltimore without a win. The U-18s battled to a scoreless match, and the U-16s lost a high scoring 3-2 result.
Two other academies produced mixed results. New England’s U-16s lost to PA Classics, 2-0, though the U-18s claimed redemption with a 4-3 win. Sunday’s action failed to produce a win, as the U-18s lost 3-2 to FC Delco and the U-16s tied 1-1.
Columbus Crew Academy traveled north to Michigan, and like New England opened up slow. The U-18s fell at Derby County Wolves 2-0, while the U-16s tied 2-2. Vardar, another top Michigan Dev. Academy club, proved to be another mixed back as the U-16s won 2-0 and the U-18s lost 1-0.
Here are some of the other results from the weekend:
- FC Delco 1, FC Greater Boston 0
- NJSA 04 3, Seacoast United 0
- Pateadores 2, Cal Odyssey
- Empire United 4, Match Fit Chelsea 1
- Met Oval 1, Cosmos Academy 0
- Vardar 1, Internationals 1
- Oakwood Soccer Club 1, Potomac 0
- FC Greater Boston 1, PA Classics
- Derby County Wolves 3, Internationals 2
- Cal Odyssey 0, Irvine Strikers 0
- FC Greater Boston 0, FC Delco 0
- Seacoast United 1, NJSA 04 0
- Pateadores 6, Cal Odyssey
- Match Fit Chelsea 2, Empire United
- Cosmos Academy East 1, Met Oval 0
- Internationals 1, Vardar 0
- Potomac 2, Oakwood Soccer Club 0
- FC Greater Boston 2, PA Classics 0
- Internationals 5, Derby County Wolves 1
- Cal Odyssey 4, Irvine Strikers 0