Today, United turns its focus from League and U.S. Open Cup play to focus on another tournament (it's fourth of five competitions in 2008) now in its second year - SuperLiga. The competition pits the best teams from Mexico against the best from MLS with eight total teams competing. United's first match comes against CD Guadalajara - a team D.C. got to know very well last year, as they played a total of four times in two competitions (CONCACAF Champions' Cup and Copa Sudamericana). Each time, Chivas ousted the Black-and-Red, but just barely...
In preparation for tonight's match, here's what you should be reading:
- Zach Berman writes about the Chang-Vergara bet and United having yet another shot at Chivas in the Washington Post (though, it should be noted that the bet is only for a friendly haircut, not a full buzz).
- John Haydon writes in the Washington Times about the team turning its focus to SuperLiga and the rivalry with Chivas.
- Beau Dure writes about the second year of SuperLiga in USA Today.
- Charlie Boehm says the teams are set for a historic battle at dcunited.com.
- The Capital Weather Gang has your forecast for tonight right here (no rain!)
Finally, a big walk-up is expected so be sure to arrive early! I'll be back with starting lineups about an hour from kickoff (which is at 8 p.m. ET).