D.C. United 3 (14-11-8, 50 points) v. New York City FC 1 (15-10-8, 53 points)
2018 MLS Regular Season
October 21, 2018 – Audi Field, Washington, DC
- United captain Wayne Rooney scored his team-leading 11th and 12th goals of the season in the eighth and 74th minutes respectively.
- Rooney has scored four braces this season; which is more braces than any other player in MLS.
- Midfielder Luciano Acosta recorded his 17th assist of the season when he assisted Rooney's 8th minute goal.
- Rooney and Acosta have combined for seven goals this season. Acosta has assisted Rooney on three goals.
- Acosta scored his 10th goal of the season in the 24th minute making him the first United player with 10 goals and at least 10 assists since Jamie Moreno in 2008. He became the eighth player in club history to reach the milestone.
- United have three 10-goal scorers for the first time since 1998 when Roy Lassiter (18), Jamie Moreno (16) and Marco Etcheverry (10) all scored double-digit goals.
- United are 4-4-1 against New York City all-time.
- The Black-and-Red are 4-1-0 at home against NYC all time.
- United welcomed NYCFC to Audi Field for the first time in fixture history.
- The Black-and-Red are 13-2-2 at home this season.
- United are 12-2-1 at Audi Field since opening the venue on July 14.
- The win extended United's point streak to nine games; it is the Black-and-Red's longest unbeaten streak of the season and their longest since 2007.
- United are 5-0-0 when Rooney and Acosta combine for a goal.
- The victory secured a spot for the Black-and-Red in the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs for the fourth time in the last five seasons.
Goals by Half
|1st Half||2nd Half||Total|
|8'||D.C. United||Wayne Rooney||Luciano Acosta|
|24'||D.C. United||Luciano Acosta|
|74' PK||D.C. United||Wayne Rooney|
|66'||NYCFC||Valentín Castellanos||Unsporting Behavior|
|Team||Shots||Shots on Goal||Corners||Offsides||Possession (%)||Saves|
D.C. United lineup:
Bill Hamid; Paul Arriola, Frédéric Billant, Steven Birnbaum, Joseph Mora; Júnior Moreno, Russell Canouse; Ulises Segura (Nick DeLeon 84'), Luciano Acosta, Yamil Asad; Wayne Rooney
Unused Substitutes: Travis Worra, Chris Durkin, Kevin Ellis, Darren Mattocks, Jalen Robinson, Zoltán Stieber
Sean Johnson; Anton Tinnerholm, Sebastien Ibeagha, Alex Callens, Ronald Matarrita; Eloi Amagat (Yangel Herrera 72'), Alex Ring, Ebenezer Ofori (Ismael Tajouri-Shradi 63'); Valentín Castellanos (Rodney Wallace 78'), David Villa, Jesus Medina
Unused Substitutes: Brad Stuver, Ben Sweat, Thomas McNamara, James Sands
Referee: Chico Grajeda
Assistant Referees: Kyle Atkins, Eric Weisbrod
Fourth Official: Christopher Penso
VAR: Younes Marrakchi