United announced that they will host open tryouts for the 2018 D.C. United Special Olympics D.C. (SODC) Unified Soccer Team, presented by Brightspot, on Sunday, June 10, at the RFK Auxiliary Fields, beginning at 2 PM.
The D.C. United SODC Unified Soccer Team exchange program is a partnership between Major League Soccer, D.C. United and Special Olympics D.C. that brings individuals with and without intellectual disabilities, ages 15-21, together as teammates to participate in unique training, competition and social experiences.
The D.C. United SODC team is scheduled to play three matches this season against MLS-affiliated Special Olympics Unified Soccer teams from other states. These matchups include hosting the Colorado Rapids and Orlando City SC Special Olympics Unified teams as well as the unique opportunity to travel and play against the New York Red Bulls Special Olympics Unified Team.
After team selection, players will be required to officially register as a Special Olympics athlete or unified partner with all players required to attend and participate in all team activities, practices, games and social events on match weekends. In addition, players will need to provide their own transportation to all team activities as well as soccer equipment (soccer cleats and shin guards). Players must also be able to travel by bus outside the D.C. metropolitan area.
The goal of Unified Sports is to bring people with and without disabilities together to compete, learn and grow on the same team as equals. Dedicated to promoting social inclusion through shared sports training and competition experiences, Unified Sports breaks down stereotypes about people with intellectual disabilities through the power of sport.
- Boys and girls between the ages of 15-21 are eligible.
- Athletes with and without disabilities are encouraged to try out.
- Must have an understanding of the game and rules of soccer.
- All participants must be able to travel by bus outside of the D.C. metro area.
- All participants must be able to attend ALL trainings, events and matches on their own.
- All individuals must register via the registration form below to attend the tryout.
D.C. UNITED SODC UNIFIED SOCCER TEAM TRYOUT
- Sunday, June 10, 2018
- 1-2 PM: Player check-in
- 2-4 PM: Tryouts
- RFK Stadium Auxiliary Field - 279 Oklahoma Ave NE, Washington, D.C. 20002
Please direct all questions to email@example.com.