D.C. United and Leveling the Playing Field have teamed up to host soccer equipment drives at United home games in May and at select locations within the D.C. metro area. Through the Let them Play program, fans are encouraged to donate new or gently-used soccer equipment to provide youth in underserved communities the opportunity to enjoy the pleasures of athletic involvement.
A collection bin will be set up at Gate A at RFK Stadium for the two May home games from the time gates open (one hour prior to kickoff) until 15 minutes into each match.
From May 16 through May 19, fans have the opportunity to donate from 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM at the following D.C. Stoddert locations:
- George Washington University Mount Vernon Campus Turf Field
- Shepherd Elementary School Turf Field
- Jelleff Recreational Center Turf Field
- Washington Adventist University Turf Field
- Palisades Recreational Center Turf Field
- Fort Stevens Recreational Center Field
- St. John's College High School Upper Turf Field (Behind Gallagher Gym)
At the conclusion of the collection drives, D.C. United will host a clinic to distribute the donated equipment to players in need.
Leveling the Playing Field gives underprivileged children the opportunity to enjoy the pleasures of athletic involvement. Studies show that students who participate in athletics have higher grade point averages, attendance rates, standardized test scores, educational aspirations and healthier habits. For more information on Leveling the Playing Field please visit their website.