D.C. United has declined the 2012 option on nine players and all will be eligible for Monday’s Stage 1 Re-Entry Draft. General Manager Dave Kasper has provided the following list:
- Brandon Barklage
- Marc Burch
- Steve Cronin
- Devon McTavish
- Kurt Morsink
- Joseph Ngwenya
- Santino Quaranta
- Clyde Simms
- Jed Zayner
"Decisions like this are never easy, especially with players who have been a big part of the club for several years," said General Manager Dave Kasper. "These tough decisions provide us with the flexibility to make other roster moves and we do anticipate that we’ll be able to announce additional acquisitions during the next several weeks."
RELATED: Robbie Russell acquired
The full selection order for Saturday’s draft and list of available players will be released by MLS on Wednesday, November 30.
The draft procedure, set by MLS headquarters, is as follows:
- Available to all teams in the Stage 1 draft of the Re-Entry Process on December 5 will be:
- Players who are at least 23-years-old and have a minimum of three years of MLS experience whose options were not exercised by their clubs (available at option salary for 2012).
- Players who are at least 25-years-old with a minimum of four years of MLS experience who are out of contract and whose club does not offer them a contract at their previous salary (available at 2011 salary).
- Players who are at least 30-years-old with a minimum of eight years of MLS experience who are out of contract and whose club does not wish to re-sign them (available for at least 105% of their 2011 salary).
- Players who are not selected in the Stage 1 draft will be made available for the Stage 2 draft on December 12. Clubs selecting players in Stage 2 will negotiate a new salary with any player not under contract.
- Players who remain unselected after Stage 2 will be available to any MLS club on a first come, first served basis.