Though United is currently out of the playoffs as things stand, a couple of positive results over the next few weeks would put the team in solid position to qualify for the post-season down the stretch. The Eastern Conference standings remain tight, and even when you include mid-table teams in the West, all are within a handful of points. Including tonight's contest against the Fire, United has two straight League road games (the team is at FC Dallas next Saturday), before five of its final six League contests are held at RFK Stadium - a place United hasn't lost in League play in 2009.
Last year, United stole two wins at Toyota Park. In two meetings this year at RFK Stadium the two teams played to a 1-1 draw on March 28 and D.C. won 2-1 on June 13.
Kickoff for tonight's match is set at 8:30 p.m. ET. You can watch the game on Fox Soccer Channel or Fox Sports en Español.
Ahead of this evening's game, here's what you should be caught up on:
- Change not buying wins - by John Haydon (Washington Times)
- Late in the season, busy is bad for United's playoff hopes - by Craig Stouffer (Washington Examiner)
- United ready to resume rivalry with Fire - by Charles Boehm (dcunited.com)
- United at Fire preview - by Steven Goff (Washington Post)
- Video: Devon McTavish previews Fire
- Video: Bryan Namoff previews Fire
Anyone for a prediction on tonight's game?