United Builds 10 Days of Giving
D.C. United announced today the schedule for the club’s UnitedBuilds 10 Days of Giving campaign, an initiative that will benefit non-profitorganizations in the D.C. Metropolitan community during the holiday season.
“The 10 Days of Giving program was created in 2010 tofurther instill the team’s mission of serving the community during theoffseason,” said D.C. United Director of Community Relations Aprile Pritchet.“With the holidays quickly approaching, the suffering economy plays a largerole in the increased need for local non-profits. In addition to holding foodand toy drives, D.C. United will lend its support by providing volunteers forten service projects through the end of December.”
The United Builds 10 Days of Giving campaign was created toprovide a way for D.C. United team, staff, fans and sponsors to get involvedand continue to give back to the community in the offseason. Throughout themonths of November and December, D.C. United volunteers will support tendifferent service projects with various non-profit organizations in theMetropolitan Area.
United’s efforts will include serving food to the homelessand passing out holiday gifts to undeserved youth, among other initiatives. Theevents will serve as a way to continue fulfilling the club’s mission of servingthe community even after the MLS season has ended.
Below is the schedule of events for the 2011 United Builds10 Days of Giving.
- The United Food Drive will take place during the entire month of November. Food collected will be donated to Martha’s Table and Food and Friends.
- Wednesday, November 2 from 1:00-3:00 p.m.: Bread for the City Holiday Helpings, Southeast D.C.
- Tuesday, November 8 from 4:00-6:30 p.m.: Thrive DC Dinner Program, Northwest D.C.
- Tuesday, November 15 from 4:00-7:00 p.m.: Martha’s Table Meals for Minds Program, Northeast D.C.
- Tuesday, November 22 from 10:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.: Food & Friends Day, multiple locations
- Wednesday, November 30 from 8:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m.: DC Central Kitchen Meal Prep, Northeast D.C.
- The United Toy Drive will be held during December. Toys collected will benefit disadvantaged youth in the Washington, D.C. area.
- Thursday, December 8 from 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.: Salvation Army Angel Tree Bike Building & Toy Sorting, Southeast D.C.
- Tuesday, December 13 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.: So Others Might Eat Lunch Service, Northeast D.C.
- Tuesday, December 19 from 12:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.: Salvation Army Angel Tree Toy Distribution, Southeast D.C.
- Wednesday, December 21 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.: Eleanor Holmes Norton Holiday Party for Kids, Capitol Hill