An abridged history of DC sports bobbleheads
On Saturday, D.C. United fans will have the opportunity to get a free Andy Najar bobblehead, courtesy of our friends at Volkswagen. In fact, the first 10,000 people through the gates (which open at 6pm) will take home the bobblehead modeled after the 2010 MLS Rookie of the Year.
You might be surprised to learn that it’s the first D.C. United bobblehead since 2004, when the club produced a Freddy Adu figurine.
Bobbleheads have been around for decades and made a resurgence in professional sports in the late ‘90s. They’re one of the most sought-after collectibles and over the course of the last 10+ years have been given out at numerous sporting events.
This got us at D.C. United to thinking about the history of bobbleheads by DC professional sports teams. With the help of our friends at the Capitals, Nationals and Wizards, we present to you – An abridged history of DC sports bobbleheads. I am confident this list is not complete, so please feel free to chime in below for those bobbleheads that we may have missed.
- 2001 – Bobby Convey, Marco Etcheverry
- 2002 – Eddie Pope
- 2003 – Ben Olsen
- 2004 – Freddy Adu, Talon
- 2011 – Andy Najar (6/11)
- 2006 – Jose Guillen, Chad Cordero, Screech
- 2007 – Racing presidents: Washington, Roosevelt, Lincoln, Jefferson
- 2008 – Ryan Zimmerman, Demitri Young
- 2009 – Frank Howard, Adam Dunn
- 2010 – Nyjer Morgan, Ivan Rodriguez, Ryan Zimmerman
- 2011 – Jayson Werth (7/30), Ian Desmond (8/20), Danny Espinosa (9/10)
- 2008 – Broadcasters Steve Buckhantz and Phil Chenier at the scorer’s table
- 2009 – G-Wiz Bobble Belly, DeShawn Stevenson Bobble Hand
- 2010 – Mike Miller, John Wall, Andray Blatche Bobble head
- 2008 – Bruce Boudreau, Alexander Ovechkin in uniform, Ovechkin in a tuxedo with awards
- 2010 – Mike Green
- 2011 – Nicklas Backstrom