CCL group B game #4: DCU vs. Marathon
United faces a near must-win tonight at RFK Stadium when it faces Honduran side CD Marathon in its fourth CONCACAF Champions League match. After last week's win in Trinidad & Tobago over Jabloteh, D.C. finds itself in third place in Group B, three points behind tonight's visitors. A win for the Black-and-Red would draw the team even in the standings and put it in a position to advance into the knockout stage of the tournament heading into the final two games of group play.
United will be without defensive stalwart Bryan Namoff (concussion) and Christian Gomez (yellow card accumulation), but may see the return of several players who have recently been fighting injuries - Marc Burch, Dejan Jakovic, Santino Quaranta, Fred and Boyzzz Khumalo.
Marathon will be without its top goal-scorer, Jerry Palacios, after he received a red card in the team's last game (a 7-0 loss to Toluca).
Tonight's match is set to kick-off at 8 p.m. ET and can be seen on Fox Soccer Channel. Ahead of the contest, here is what you need to read - and watch - to be up to speed:
- United Opponent Has Taken Long Road - by Steve Goff (Washington Post)
- United gunning for goals against Marathon - by John Haydon (Washington Times)
- United can't settle for one goal - by Craig Stouffer (Washington Examiner)
- Video: Access United - Episode 28
- Video: Santino Quaranta previews Marathon
- Video: Tom Soehn previews Marathon
Anyone for a prediction on tonight's game? United is coming off its longest break - nine days - since July and should be well rested. Who might you like to see in the starting lineup?