CCL preliminary round, leg 2: DCU @ LA Firpo
D.C. United is in El Salvador for tonight's second leg match against CD Luis Angel Firpo in the preliminary round of CONCACAF Champions League. After a 1-1 draw last week at RFK Stadium, D.C. needs to do one of three things to advance to the group stage:
- 1) Win.
- 2) Score two or more goals in a draw (i.e. 2-2, 3-3, etc.).
- 3) Draw 1-1 and win a penalty shootout after overtime.
The away goals rule is in effect for Champions League play, so scoring two or more goals in a draw would give United the advantage after Firpo scored a single away goal at RFK.
After playing a team of mostly of reserves in last week's game, Head Coach Tom Soehn is expected to use a lineup this evening made up primarily of first-teamers. Kickoff is set for 10 p.m. ET and the game can be see on Fox Soccer Channel.
Ahead of the contest here are are few of the things floating around the interwebs:
- United face challenge in El Salvador - by Charlie Boehm (dcunited.com)
- United at Firpo - by Steven Goff (The Washington Post)
- United, Firpo ready for round two - by Craig Stouffer (The Washington Examiner)
Any predictions for tonight's game? Will United overcome the difficulties teams have seen in Central America and pull out a win? Who would you like to see in the starting lineup?