MLS game #6: DCU @ New York Red Bulls
D.C. United is set to face the New York Red Bulls this afternoon at 3 p.m. in what may be their final game at Giants Stadium. With Red Bull Arena to be ready for the opening of the 2010 season and today's match serving as D.C.'s only visit to New Jersey, the Black-and-Red may be seeing the turf at the meadowlands for the last time.
D.C. is coming off an impressive 2-0 win over FC Dallas on Wednesday in a U.S. Open Cup play-in game, while the Red Bulls are looking to recover from a 1-0 loss in Kansas City that saw their starting centerback Carlos Johnson red-carded in just the 2nd minute of play.
Newly-acquired defender Avery John will be in uniform for the first time, after officially signing with United on Thursday.
Today's game can be seen nationally on Telefutura and also heard on the radio - in English (1050 AM) and in Spanish (1540, 1390, 1600 AM). Tune-in to 1050 AM at 2 p.m. for an hour-long preview show.
Ahead of the game you should also read up:
- John Adds Option and Intrigue to United - By Steven Goff (Washington Post)
- Pontius learning on the fly - By John Haydon (Washington Times)
- Quaranta pushes forward - By Craig Stouffer (Washington Examiner)
- Battle for Atlantic Cup heats up in NY - By Charlie Boehm (dcunited.com)
- United versus Red Bulls preview - Associated Press (espn.com)
If you're following along on TV or the radio, be sure to follow us on Twitter, too. I'll be providing periodic updates throughout the game. If you want to chime in, simply include a #dcu or #dcunited hash tag and your tweet will show up on the front page of dcunited.com!
Predictions for today's game? Drop it in the comments below.