MLS game #1: DCU 2 - LA Galaxy 2
That was a tough one, wasn't it?
After a shaky start to the game, United settled down and were playing some good soccer. Christian Gomez put the team up just before halftime on a penalty and Chris Pontius doubled the lead midway through the second. The guys were knocking the ball around pretty well in the second half and created several decent chances to add to their lead. But, once again, Landon Donovan was the thorn in the team's side, notching two goals in the game's final ten minutes to force a 2-2 draw.
The team was understandably disappointed to not get the full three points.
A couple of quick notes:
- Did you see that collision between Greg Janicki and Devon McTavish? Lots of blood. McTavish's head required six staples to close the wound, while Janicki needed eight stitches. Neither is thought to have a concussion, but will be evaluated in the coming days.
- Five players made their D.C. United debut today: Josh Wicks, Rodney Wallace, Chris Pontius, Andrew Jacobson and Dejan Jakovic.
- Gomez's first half goal was his first in a United uniform since Nov. 1, 2007 when he tallied in the 2-2 draw with the Chicago Fire in the second leg of the MLS Cup playoffs (United fell 3-2 on aggregate).
- The team has the evening off and will get on the bus tomorrow morning at 5:30 a.m. PT to head back to the District. Training resumes on Tuesday in preparation for Saturday's home-opener versus the visiting Chicago Fire.
- Rodney Wallace had the assist on Pontius' goal - both players were first round picks in this year's SuperDraft. Oh, and they're living together in D.C.
What did you think about the game?