Champions League game #3: DCU vs. Cruz Azul
Tonight, D.C. United faces the third and final member of Group A in Cruz Azul. The Mexican side lost its first Champions League game 0-2 to CD Marathon, before rebounding with a 4-0 over Deportivo Saprissa last week.
United is in dire need of a win this evening after dropping its first two games in the international tournament, but from all reports it looks like Tom Soehn will rest a few regular starters tonight with an eye on Saturday's important game versus Chivas USA. Most of the players who played in Dallas on Sunday were given yesterday off (after training at RFK Stadium on Monday), though several are expected to see time this evening.
Kickoff for tonight's match is set for 8 p.m. ET at RFK Stadium. If you're not in the area, you can watch the game on Fox Soccer Channel or TeleFutura. The game will also be broadcast on the radio, as well - in English on WFED 1050 AM.
Here's what folks are writing about in advance of this evenng's contest...
- In the Washington Times, John Haydon writes that key starters will be rested.
- Craig Stouffer uses slightly more blatant words in his preview, from the Examiner.
- The Washington Post, via Steven Goff, has a (very) mini-preview.
- Here is the weather outlook from the Capital Weather Gang.
- And from Cruz Azul's (¡Spanish!) website, the visitors were surprised by the rain at JF Kennedy Stadium (yes, you read that correctly - JF Kennedy!).
- UPDATE: And here's Charlie Boehm's preview on dcunited.com.
Anything out there that I missed?
Feel free to drop your predictions in the comments below for the possibility to win two tickets to an upcoming United home game.