MLS game #25: DCU @ LA Galaxy
D.C. United and the LA Galaxy meet for the second and final time Saturday night at the Home Depot Center (Fox Soccer Channel, 11 p.m. ET). Things have changed a bit since the two team's first meeting on June 29 when United extended their unbeaten streak at the time to six games (5-0-1) with a 4-1 win over the visiting Galaxy.
Since that game, United is 3-4-2 in MLS play. The Galaxy have fared even worse, though, with a 0-5-5 record since the two team's last meeting. Both teams are fighting for their respective playoff lives - United is currently in the final playoff spot, while the Galaxy is four points back of third place in the West - which should translate to a battle tonight. One would expect a few goals tonight, as well - LA is tied with Columbus for the League lead with 44 goals scored and United is second with 39 (the Galaxy have also given up the most goals in MLS this year (49), eleven more than D.C.).
Perhaps a nap is in order before tonight's late East Coast kickoff? You should also squeeze in reading the articles below to make sure you've got the latest...
- Steve Goff writes about 'Boyzzz' Khumalo and his long path from South Africa to D.C. in the Washington Post.
- In the Washington Times, John Haydon talks to Unitd players about LA's struggles this year.
- In the Washington Examiner's "Cheers & Jeers," Craig Stouffer says MLS needs to make some changes.
- Also from Stouffer, a look at Quaranta's success this season.
- And in his dcunited.com preview Charlie Boehm writes about the team's long road trip. Games notes are here.
- Fox Soccer Channel does a preview of their own.
Did I miss anything?
How about some predictions for tonight's playoff-like battle? If you guess the correct score, you'll have a chance to win two tickets to an upcoming United home game. Don't be shy, get in there and guess.