MLS game #22: DCU vs. NYRB
United and the Red Bulls meet at RFK Stadium tonight for the third and final time this regular season. Somewhat amazingly, both teams have earned a 4-1 win at home earlier in the year (United on June 15 and New York on August 10), which means tonight's game will determine the Atlantic Cup winner - given to the team that wins the season series between the two rivals. Should the game end in a draw, and because the first tie-breaker of goal-differential is knotted up, D.C. would keep the trophy by virtue of being the current holder.
So, what do you need to know? Tonight's game is set for 7:30 p.m. and will be broadcast live on Fox Soccer Channel and Fox Sports en Español. If you can't make it out to RFK Stadium and aren't near a TV, you can listen on radio as well - in English on 1050 AM and in Spanish on 1540 AM.
There's lots to read out there in the world of the world wide web. Here are some of the must-reads:
- Steve Goff in the Washington Post writes about Clyde Simms' near constant presence on the pitch.
- In the Washington Times, John Haydon writes about the long-standing DC-NY rivalry.
- John Haydon also writes about Jaime Moreno approaching the milestone of becoming the first player to be a part of the 100 goals-100 assists club.
- In the Washington Examiner, Craig Stouffer writes the team is facing its most challenging stretch.
- Charlie Boehm spoke with players about the desire to break the standings deadlock (game notes here).
- Mike Martin of UnitedMania.com with his preview of the big game.
- The Capital Weather Gang says clouds should clear by kickoff.
We'll take your score predictions in the comments section below. Pick the correct score and you may very well win two tickets to an upcoming United game.
Did I miss anything glaring?