SuperLiga game #1: DCU vs. CD Guadalajara
Today, United turns its focus from League and U.S. Open Cup play to focus on another tournament (it's fourth of five competitions in 2008) now in its second year - SuperLiga. The competition pits the best teams from Mexico against the best from MLS with eight total teams competing. United's first match comes against CD Guadalajara - a team D.C. got to know very well last year, as they played a total of four times in two competitions (CONCACAF Champions' Cup and Copa Sudamericana). Each time, Chivas ousted the Black-and-Red, but just barely...
In preparation for tonight's match, here's what you should be reading:
- Zach Berman writes about the Chang-Vergara bet and United having yet another shot at Chivas in the Washington Post (though, it should be noted that the bet is only for a friendly haircut, not a full buzz).
- John Haydon writes in the Washington Times about the team turning its focus to SuperLiga and the rivalry with Chivas.
- Beau Dure writes about the second year of SuperLiga in USA Today.
- Charlie Boehm says the teams are set for a historic battle at dcunited.com.
- The Capital Weather Gang has your forecast for tonight right here (no rain!)
Finally, a big walk-up is expected so be sure to arrive early! I'll be back with starting lineups about an hour from kickoff (which is at 8 p.m. ET).