MLS Game #6: DCU @ Colorado
The team gears up for its sixth MLS contest today in a city that has not been very friendly in recent years. United has not defeated the Rapids in Denver since 2000 - a 5-2 win on May 6 highlighted by a Jaime Moreno hat trick - going 0-6-2 since. The team will play its second-ever game at Dick's Sporting Goods Park, after opening the park last year with a 2-1 loss.
Today's match will also be the first meeting between the two teams since Colorado acquired Christian Gomez from United earlier this year. Gomez spent three-plus seasons as a member of the Black-and-Red, helping the team to its most recent MLS Cup (2004), earning League MVP honors (2006) and being named to the MLS All-Star team and MLS Best XI three times each, respectively (2005-2007). Gomez has one goal (a penalty) and one assist so far this season. Two other former United players also play for the Rapids - Facundo Erpen and Mike Petke.
Here's the rundown to get you ready for today's game:
- Steve Goff writes about the team's road struggles in his article for the Washington Post.
- John Haydon looks at the first meeting with Gomez in his piece over at the Washington Times.
- Charlie Boehm writes about the team's depth in his article at dcunited.com.
- The mlsnet.com staff also provides a bunch of notes and stats right here.
- Brian Forbes of the Denver Post says Gomez hasn't made the contribution expected thus far.
Back with more from the park later today.
UPDATE: By the way, the game can be seen live nationally on Telefutura and regionally on Comcast SportsNet. If you're not near a TV, you can listen on WFED (1050 AM) or on the Spanish Radio Network (1540 AM, 1390 AM, 1600 AM and 1350 AM). Kickoff is set for 3 p.m. ET.