MLS Game #4: DCU vs. Columbus
D.C. United takes the field at RFK Stadium this evening at 8 p.m. EST for its first match of the year versus the Columbus Crew. The game will be broadcast on ESPN2 and ESPNdeportes, as well as WFED (1050 AM) and the United Spanish Radio Network (1540 AM, 1390 AM, WLXE 1600 AM and 1350 AM).
Much of today's press is about the matchup between Marcelo Gallardo and the Crew's Guillermo Barros Schelotto. Each was a member of the two biggest clubs in Argentina - Marcelo with River Plate and Schelotto with Boca Jrs. - who happen to make up one of the biggest futbol rivalries in the world. Tonight will be their first-ever meeting as members of MLS.
Here's the newsday rundown:
- Steve Goff examines the team's readiness for tonight's game over at the Washington Post (various notes on Soccer Insider, too).
- John Haydon touches on the Gallardo-Schelotto match-up in his piece at the Washington Times. Craig Stouffer looks at the return of former United midfielder Brian Carroll and his two brothers - Jeff and Pat - who currently play in D.C. in the Washington Examiner (blog tidbit here).
- dcunited.com gets in the mix with an article from Charlie Boehm about the team moving on from the Real Salt Lake game and also with tonight's game notes.
- Jeff Carlisle with five storylines to watch in his game preview at espn.com.
- Finally, soccer365.com has a Q&A with Santino Quaranta that covers the gamut.
Get out to RFK. Tonight. 8 p.m. Do it.
UPDATE: Here's the weather outlook via the Capital Weather Gang's UnitedCast. It's supposed to be a beautiful evening!